Sutton Veny - Individual Stories from 1st World War - 2

George McKenzie Anderson

During the later part of WW1 my grandfather George McKenzie Anderson spent time convalescing at Sutton Veny after suffering gunshot wounds to the shoulder from the fighting in France.

When I heard and saw the ABC news reports of Sutton Veny honouring the ANZACs, earlier this year, I was very moved. It was wonderful seeing your young school children and their teacher Nicky Barnard honouring our forefathers.

Luckily my grandfather survived. He came home to Melbourne with the memory of a nurse ... Sister Flo Robinson. I would interested to know what happened to her .... I know it is a longshot! But if any of her family are your the village, they might like to know that Sister Robinson and Sutton Veny is remembered here in Australia.

I have attached three photos. One shows my grandfather standing at rear on the left and the other two are of Sister Robinson. Then other men in the group photo are unknown.

I hope this is of interest to you. Regards, George Schwab 23 Nov 2013

Allan Edwin Sutton

A little information about my grandfather. His name was Allan Edwin Sutton, he was born and lived in Burnie Tasmania. He enlisted in the 40th battalion AIF (service number 3426) on 15 March 1917. At the time of his enlistment he was 17 years old. He embarked for England and trained in England at Larkhill prior to joining the battalion in France on 9 February 1918.

He was wounded on 28 March 1918 in an action near Morlancourt between the Somme and Ancre rivers. The wound was described as a “gunshot wound arm” however was severe enough for him to be evacuated to England. Upon evacuation to England he was admitted to a military hospital in Reading and appeared to have remained there until 31 May 1918. It then appears that he was discharged from the hospital in Reading and was on leave prior to returning to France. However prior to returning to France he became seriously ill with appendicitis (family legend is that he actually had peritonitis) and was admitted to the military hospital in Sutton Veny on 1 June 1918. He spent the rest of the war in the hospital in Sutton Veny or the convalescent depot there until embarking to return to Australia on 14 January 1919. Graeme Miller Jan 2014

Reginald and Mabel Lapthorne - Huntsmans Cottage, 114 Norton Street, Sutton Veny

Gary and Julie Liles from Australia have been researching Gary’s grandmother - Mabel Lapthorne who lived in Huntsman Cottage in the village. They have produce a small booklet which they have kindly agreed to have displayed on this website. The booklet can be download here Reginald and Mapel Lapthorne.